Each month I will be sharing Foody tips, ideas, recipes, pictures and more… I hope you enjoy my post as well as try some of the recipes I will be posting. I know that some of you love and enjoy to make a Rum Cake at Christmas, so I would like to share my recipe on how to make the traditional Caribbean rum cake otherwise known as Black Cake.
Traditional Caribbean Rum Cake [Black Cake]
8oz butter (unsalted; room temperature)
8oz dark demerara sugar
6 eggs (room temperature)
2 teaspoon vanilla essence
6oz socked mixed fruit (minced if prefered)
1\2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1\2teaspoon mixed spice
2 teaspoon baking powder
6 teaspoon of browning
12oz all-purpose flour
How to Make It
- Set oven to 350 F with baking rack in the middle of the oven
2. Grease the cake pan. Rub butter all around the insides of the pan sprinkle with flour and swirl the pan to coat it with flour. Turn over the pan and tap to remove the excess flour.
3. Line the bottom of the pan only with a cut-out piece of grease proof paper.
4. Cream together butter and sugar until mixture reaches a pale cream colour and is light and fluffy.
5. Sift together flour baking powder mixed spice and cinnamon into a large bowl and set aside.
6. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until frothy
7. Add vanilla essence to eggs and continue to whisk until incorporated – about a minute.
8. Pour whisked eggs into the bowl with the creamed butter and sugar mixture and stir gently with a rubber spatula. Keep stirring until incorporated the mixture will look curdled that’s okay.
9. Add the browning and rum-soaked fruits to the egg-butter-sugar mixture and stir.
10. Add flour-baking powder-cinnamon mixture gradually to the wet ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly to incorporate. Do not over mix or beat the batter.
11. Pour the batter into the prepared pan; use the spatula to scrape all the mixture from the bowl.
12. Bake for 90minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
13. Remove from oven and let cook on a wire rack in pan for 10 minutes. Gently remove from the pan place back on wire rack until completely cool.
14. Slice and serve at room temperature.
About Sunset Caterers
Sunset Caterers was set up by Elca Hoyte, a qualify chef with over 10-years of catering experience. I had a vision to provide clients with a quality service. Since then our professional team of caterers have delivered nothing but the best at private functions and family events. Our aim is to channel the warmth of the Caribbean to our customers through our rich flavours and professional service.