Avocado - The Many wonders of Avocado
What is it?
The Avocado is native to Mexico and Central America. It is a tree, a flowering plant known as Persea Americana or the alligator pear.
There are dozens of varieties of avocados, including the Hass, Fuerto, Zutano and Bacon varieties. The Hass variety is the most popular type of avocado in the United States. An average California Hass avocado weighs about 6 ounces (170 grams) with a pebbled, dark green or black skin.
- It is pear shaped and comes in many colours from black to green shades.
- The Hass avocado has an alligator shape and skin.
- The avocado has edible yellow-green flesh with the skin and seed discarded.
- It is a popular super-food amongst the health-conscious people.
- It is a unique and nutritious fruit and has many culinary purposes - it gives good texture to smoothies, is used in salads and most famous in the Mexican dish guacamole.
The Avocado has many health giving properties.
- Research in shows that the seed has been used for treatments for health related conditions like hypertension, inflammatory conditions, diabetes and cardiovascular treatments
- Avocado oil is used for dermatological applications - Because the oil mimics natural skin oil it is used in many facial oils - giving healthy skin and working as an antioxidant and anti-aging oil.
- According to Medical News Today, the avocado is associated with weight loss and decreased risk of cardiovascular disease.
Its Nutrients content.
The avocado contains many health giving nutrients - fibres and vitamins including:
Vitamins B, K, E, C, copper, potassium and 20 different minerals.
According to Healthline.com, a 100g or 3.5 oz serving of avocado contains:
Vitamin K 26%
Vitamin C 17%
Vitamin B5 14%
Vitamin B6 13%
Vitamin E 10%
It also contains amounts of
-Vitamin B1 (Thiamine),
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- 2 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbs 7 of which are fibre, 2 net carbs, thus making this carb friendly food!
Avocados do not contain any cholesterol or sodium and are low in saturated fats.
Time to get into avocado and enjoys it many benefits!