How Juicing Changed My Life!
By Kathleen M. Marinell
Straight up, I'm what you would call a health nut. I've never smoked, I seldom drink alcohol, and I’ve never done drugs despite being a child of the 60's...oops, now I'm dating myself :-). I've lived a fairly active life, I've eaten well, I've tried a variety of self-healing techniques, and I've read lots of books on living a healthy lifestyle. But nothing impacted my life permanently and deeply until I started drinking fresh extracted juices.
How it all began?
For over 4 decades of my adult life, I tried many, many diets and lifestyle changes including eating vegetarian for 12 years during the 80’s. I spent most of my life preparing my own meals in my own kitchen. I’ve been very active throughout my life…playing sports and dancing and exercising through yoga, race walking, weight training and using a treadmill. Despite all this effort to stay in shape and manage my weight, by the time my 60th birthday had passed me by, I had spent well over 40 years suffering from regular bouts of knock-me-down migraine headaches and I was 45 pounds overweight. Both issues were only getting worse with every passing year and I had no idea how to change my situation. So naturally, when I started juicing my primary objectives were to cut down on the excess weight I was carrying around and, hopefully, reduce the migraine headaches. When I started this journey, I had no idea what was in store for me.
How it changed my life?
Much to my surprise within just a couple of years everything changed dramatically – my weight, the migraine suffering and my diet. Because fresh juices deliver pure nutrition to the body, once I incorporated them into my dietary habits and experienced the healing effects of juice fasting, my daily food choices naturally shifted to eating foods my body could actually use to thrive and function at an optimum level. I had my first homemade fresh juice in January 2013 and experienced my first juice fast in March 2013 which lasted 10 days. I remain, to this day, an avid juicer and drink freshly extracted juice every day as well as juice fasting 7-10 days every 3 months as the seasons change.
Then juicing changed my lifestyle
Over a period of about 16 months, my diet changed in many ways:
- Eating real, whole foods, mostly plant-based, raw or cooked,
- Eating organic as much as possible, as well as naturally raised meats and poultry or wild caught fish but limited to 2-3 times per week.
- I virtually eliminated soy products, dairy milk and dairy milk products from my diet…including cheese which I love…as well as minimising wheat products
- Today, I do not use table salt – only pink Himalayan salt.
- I cook with sesame, grapeseed and coconut oils because they can withstand high heat.
- I use olive oil, hemp and flax seed oils with balsamic or apple cider vinegar and fresh herbs on my salads and I make all my own salad dressings.
- I do not use white granulated or powdered sugar or refined brown sugar and rarely use honey, even raw unfiltered honey due to my sugar sensitivities.
- I use organic raw blue agave nectar, pure maple syrup, coconut palm sugar or homemade date syrup when I do use sweeteners.
- I do not use refined white flours and rarely use wheat-based flours of any kind. I use almond flour or coconut flour, sometimes oat or buckwheat flours.
- I drink smoothies, mostly green smoothies made with water, usually 3-4 times per week.
- I read labels and do not buy anything that has ingredients I don’t understand because my body doesn’t understand them either.
- I eat organic as much as possible and our latest project is to raise more of our own food which is a real challenge in Wyoming with its extremely short growing season.
- The best part is that my meals are delicious, and I eat as much as I want.'
The Magic of juicing
I don’t diet. I don’t count anything. I don’t weigh or measure portions. I am what people might call a “foodie”. I love to eat but my food is now nutrient-rich so I naturally eat less. My food is more satisfying, more filling and more varied than at any other time in my life. We enjoy preparing our own Mexican food, Thai food, and lately, East Indian food which is to die for. And desserts are yummier than I ever thought possible. Most importantly… I look and feel great!!
Kathleen is a Certified Juice Therapist at Healthy Changes Now
Follow her on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/kathleen.marinell